Subscribe:

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

T minus 2 days!

     Well, here it is Tuesday afternoon and I’m busy packing away. It’s not super easy deciding what I’ll need for the next 13 months, but luckily, I have my mom and my friend Abby, the super-packer, to help me figure things out. 

     Now a little background info on what’s about to happen. Thursday morning, the 5th, at 5:25am (nice and early!) my flight takes off from Minneapolis and heads to Atlanta and from there I head to Santo Domingo arriving mid-afternoon. I’ll get picked up and there and head to the NPH site, which is just outside of San Pedro de Macoris (east of the capital). Friday is El Día de los Reyes Magos (Three Kings Day), so everyone has off from work and school, and I then I begin my job on Saturday.

     On that subject, you might be wondering what I’m actually doing in the DR for 13 months. I’m working with Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos (or Friends of the Orphans as the US-branch is called). I will be in the position of sponsorship assistant and communications assistant. As far as sponsorship goes, each of the 200+ kids on the site has sponsors somewhere throughout the world so I’ll be helping facilitate mail between them, translating, planning birthday events as well as other big days, in addition to a few other things.  With the communications department, I’ll be working on website articles, calendar stuff, taking photos, doing reports, and all sorts of other stuff. In addition, I’ll be assigned to a house of kids and I’ll eat all of my meals with this group as well as spend my evenings and every other weekend with them. Basically, it’s going to be awesome! 

     Lastly, a quick explanation for the name of my blog: Live This Life. I picked it after the song by the same name by Big & Rich. In addition to the fact that I absolutely love country music, it’s a “Mages song” that I first heard sang by my cousin, Jake, at one of the many Mages events where people whip out guitars and start singing. It’s a pretty song with great lyrics and I love the line that says, “I have no fears; angels follow me wherever I may go.” Check out the video in the sidebar. Soooo good :) (P.S. Thanks Jake!) 

     Anyways, I will try to update this blog whenever I get the chance and have something worthwhile to say. I don’t think I’ll always have Internet access, but it sounds like I should on Mondays. Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive and kind!
Hasta luego! 

1 comment:

Anurra said...

Va a ser genial :), (por cierto me gustó la canción, ya me pasarás una buena lista de canciones country para escuchar XD)
Saludos desde España!!!

Post a Comment