So I’ve gotten a request or two from friends asking about popular songs in the DR. First off, I would say that más o menos, you typically hear 60% bachata, 20% merengue, and 20% dembow. You also hear the random salsa song, reggaeton, or American pop hit. Here’s the best of the best!
1. **Promise—Romeo Santos ft. Usher—SOOOOOO good! And yes, I belt this song out in duet fashion with Avriel on a daily basis.
2. Debate de 4—Romeo Santos
3. El Amor Que Perdimos—Prince Royce
4. Corazón Sin Cara—Prince Royce
5. Sobran Las Palabras— Zacarias Ferreira
6. Cuentame—Zacarias Ferreira
7. Lo Busque--Zacarias Ferreira
1. Toma Mi Vida—Milly ft. Juan Luis Guerra
2. La 7 Loca—Don Miguelo ft. Antony Santos
1. De Lo Mio—Monkey Black
2. Con Lo Pie—Chimbala
3. No Wiri Wiri—Alfa
Also, when I say these are the most popular songs, I mean they are the MOST POPULAR SONGS. Like you can’t escape them…the grocery store, walking down the street, in the public guagua (bus), music in the park on weekends, whatever it is. And back in the states, there exists that unwritten rule that you don’t play the same song over in a night when you’re the DJ. Here that doesn’t exist. At all. Within an hour, you might hear the same song played three times, maybe even three times in a row. So no wonder everyone has every word of every song memorized (not to mention, no one’s afraid to showcase their singing skills here). So yep, and if you were wondering, bachata is my favorite hands down. And the way people dance dembow here is UNPARALLELED. Like people move their legs so fast and with so much rhythm, it’s crazy. Like our 6-year old boys have me beat on that. But it’s a work in progress. So yep, that’s Dominican music in a nutshell :) I can’t get enough of it. Now check out the songs on YouTube.
Merengue and bachata band at the wedding here in February