Subscribe:

Saturday, January 7, 2012

This is the Real Thing!

So, I’ve had some real sweet Dominican experiences these past 24 hours. First off, the batey last night. The bateys are these little villages that have developed around the sugar cane fields. They are small and pretty darn poor. Last night, we walked to one just about 20 minutes away to dance and hang out for a bit. The place we went to was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before. Literally, it was like a little patio with a few chairs (a couple which were occupied by some guys playing dominos—super popular game here) with the music BLASTING all night long. Such fun! And I learned dembow for the first time, which is kinda like a newer, cooler type of reggaeton. Hard to describe, but I like it.

Next legit Dominican experience=going into San Pedro today. We took motoconchos in. Yep, that is the main form of transport around here it seems. You literally hop onto the back of this little moped-type thing with whatever and whoever you are with (it turns out just about ANYTHING can fit onto a moto…including ladders). So we buzzed into town on that and I got a cell phone, pesos, a couple groceries, and a quick tour. I also experienced Dominican men first-hand. We gringas sure seem to grab their attention. Nuff said. And then we took a moto back too. Since we are a ways out of town, it makes for a fun ride, (especially when it’s raining.) I was warned before hopping on the first time about the mufflers and the nastily burns they can leave you with. Luckily, I learned that lesson the hard way a couple years back on my dad’s motorcycle so we’re good there. More moto rides definitely await me :)

And a kids update: LOVE them!! I spent a good 6-7 hours with Casa Santa Ana today. I’ve got nearly all twenty of their names down. It's really starting to feel like home there. Oh, I can’t tell you how many different ways my hair has been done today. They are just so fascinated with how straight it is. Course for awhile, they put it just the same way they do their hair with all the hair beads and everyone told me I looked just like a niña. Fun stuff. And then I spent a good hour in Santa Lucia, which is the baby house, reading stories and just playing with them. They are soooooo adorable. They climb all over your lap and are entertained by the smallest of things. I’m sure I’ll end up there again soon.

Other things I’m getting used to: ants in the kitchen, flies, electricity outages, lack of running water, and having to fix the toilet every time after flushing it. But seriously all this pales in comparison to how awesome this experience already is.

Oh yeah. And I was gonna post this gorgeous photo of the sunset tonight….but, my camera just JUMPED out of my back pocket into the toilet. Current location: bag of rice.

3 comments:

Krystal Raquel said...

Just a few days and you've already packed sooo much adventure and fun into it! Jaja, remember how in "Hasta Abajo" they used the word 'dembow'? Well until you mentioned that it was a type of dance I totally thought it was just some weird slang! Jajajaja. Ceci, I could keep going on about how cool all these events and people sound, but then I'd churn out something longer than your blog! Jaja, well I hope your camera recovers from its dive into the toilet ;)
Cuidate mucho amiga!
Un abrazo,
Raquel

Krystal Raquel said...

PS: Did you use the lil hair bobs I got you for your girls at Christmas?? :)

Mary and the Kiv said...

Hi Hope your camera dries out. Continue on your adventure!! Love ya Mary and the Kiv

Post a Comment