Subscribe:

Friday, January 6, 2012

Saludos!

I made it to the DR!! Here's some quick updates!

1. Kids: LOVE them. They are everywhere. They are loud. They give so many hugs. They dance. They are SOOOO amazing. I'm currently working on learning all 215 names (here's a few cool ones--Belkis, Milagros, Yudelkis, Yosi, Estrella, Franscesca, Carmensita, etc.). It looks like I'm gonna be in Casa Santa Ana with twenty 10-14 year old girls, because they REALLY want me there as they haven't had a volunteer in their house for quite awhile. And I'm so impressed by them. Today, to celebrate Reyes Magos (3 Kings) we had bizcocho (cake) and I didn't want mine, so I gave it to the girl next to me. She shared it with all of the other girls who wanted more before taking a bite herself. And then they all got regalos (presents) after lunch which consisted of a couple pairs of underwear, deoderant, and some used toys and they were sooooo happy with everything. What a great day to be here!

2. Living Arrangements: I'm in the volunteer house, which is much nicer than I expected. I'm sharing a room and bathroom with a girl named Jeanine, who's from Germany and has already been here a year. She's super nice! Other than that, there's a big common area outside that all of our doors face out to. Then there's a communal kitchen, craft room, laundry room, and basically, there's lots of space!

3. Music: Bachata. Merengue. Salsa. Everything good basically. There was a big program in honor of Three Kings Day with lots of dances, which was lots of fun. And I recognize quite a few songs (Aventura, Prince Royce, "Torero") which is awesome. They even had "Someone Like You" by Adele playing during lunch en el parque.

4. Weather: 70s, slight breeze, sun during the afternoons and it doesn't get dark until 7:00pm. Also, GOREGOUS sunsets (and I've only seen one so far).

5. Language: I'm learning LOTS of new words. Turns out the Dominicans have lots of their own lingo. For example:
Poloche=shirt
Canuco=garden
Chichigua=kite
Casimente=almost-ly,
Un chin=a little 
I'm loving learning this style of Spanish!

Well, the cows are running loose in the soccer field, so I'm gonna go see what's up with that. I think I'm gonna love this place :)

No comments:

Post a Comment