Subscribe:

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

It’s Time to Say Goodbye…Milena!



So the last few days have been a series of goodbyes for our beloved Milena. Milena came here from Germany straight after high school and has been here for over a year and a half. In the volunteer house, we joke that she is the most Dominican of any of us. Since she came here without any Spanish, she’s completely picked up the Dominican accent, slang, etc. and speaks Spanish just the same as a Dominican 8-year old. Of course, this was helped out by the fact that she spent her time here as a volunteer in Santa Lucia, the baby house, working with our youngest ones. She left on Tuesday after goodbye after goodbye, and it was real tough to see her go.  Besides being a great friend, she was a bit of a cross-cultural bonding agent in the volunteer house. She’s done such an amazing job as a tutor, pottery instructor, and guitar teacher so, of course, it was difficult to say goodbye.
One of our first photos together from early 2012...me, Milena, and Avriel. We all look SO young!
Volunteer dance number 1: Graduation!
Volunteer dance number 2: Christmas!
Volunteer dance number 3: Talent Show!
Outing with Santa Ana girls to San Pedro!
The crew that extended...me, Nelly, Milena, Pili, and Avriel!
Visitor Day...always an important time to be there for the kiddies!
Hehehe, scaring Milena one night in the volunteer house...
Hanging out with my sisters when they were here...
Attempting to stay dry...
Dancing the night away!
Anyways, this has been quite the wake-up call for me as I’m realizing that I’m leaving in less than 4 months. I’m part of the next group out. My despedida isn’t off in some uncertain future now. I’m leaving here at the end of July. Oh my gosh…even just typing that makes my stomach sink. On that note, I’m looking into a couple different options for some transition programs for volunteers to help me jump back into life in the US when I get home…Here’s part of what I wrote for an application where I try to sum up my thoughts on making this next big life change:

Eighteen hot, sweaty months. 225 abandoned and orphaned children fighting for your constant attention. Four concrete walls. These three statements sum up life here in the Dominican Republic. It’s a demanding life, it’s a heartbreaking life at times, but above all, it’s a fulfilling life.

In July 2013, I will be finishing up a year and a half commitment as a volunteer at an orphanage in what is commonly known as the “armpit of the Dominican Republic”, San Pedro de Macorís. The land is covered in trash, a stench greets you as your enter the city, and worst of all, a brutal form of modern day slavery continues to exist in the form of manual labor in the sugar cane fields. However, as can be expected, after such an intense experience I’ve come to love the country despite its flaws.

The thought of leaving the DR downright scares me. I’ve developed relationships here in this short time that are stronger than some relationships I’ve been working on for years at home in Minnesota. I’ve grown and changed and stretched during this time; I’ve formed new opinions and reprioritized many parts of my life particularly when it comes to material things.

After living in such an unconventional environment, the meaning of family has truly taken on a new meaning for me. Oftentimes, I feel more like a mom or older sister than a professional who has graduated with honors from college in a developed country. In a way, I’ve lost myself in the Dominican culture by putting my whole heart into what I do here, and I’m not quite sure how to return to what was my only ‘normal’ just under two years ago.

For over a year and a half, I have lived, laughed, and cried with a multitude of Dominican children who have all become my hijos and hermanos. This experience has been intense, rewarding, frustrating, emotional, and most of all, life-changing. I’m very much looking forward to coming home, but it’s going to be quite the change for my mind, brain, and heart. But the time has come to trade in my chore chart and Crayola crayons for a real planner and pen. I am looking for all the resources at my disposal to make this a smooth transition so I can move forward using my unique experiences to benefit others as well as myself in this next stage of life.

And there we have it…the countdown has begun. Here’s to making the next couple months the best yet!
The fearless fivesome on our last night out together...

No comments:

Post a Comment