Subscribe:

Friday, June 21, 2013

Goodbye Grandpa


This past weekend I said goodbye to my grandpa. Unlike any other times I’ve experienced a death of a loved one, this time I was accompanied in my thoughts (as Domincans say) by an entire orphanage of children, teenagers and adults. Although thousand of miles away from home when I received the news, I felt as if I was surrounded by family and more supported than ever.

I was lucky enough to be able to go home to Minnesota for a couple days to attend the events. When I look at the people in the surrounding villages who don’t even have the resources to transport themselves 5 miles to town, I realize how blessed I am to be able to be mobile especially in situations like this…not just with funds, but also in the fact that I have a legal identity that permits me to travel.

I left the orphanage on Saturday with many well wishes from the girls, tias and other volunteers plus a crew that offered to take me to the airport despite the ridiculously early hour. After spending the day flying, I was able to go be with family and slip back into “life as I know it.”

It felt so good to be surrounded by family for a couple days, to get to say a real goodbye to my grandpa and to hear the stories of his last couple weeks alive. Every time I reflect upon it, I find myself so very thankful for everything I have…more than anything, my family.

I also found myself reflecting on a couple others things. While the last funeral I was at consisted of a simple wooden box for a casket with the wake taking place in the home of the man on the day of his death, this time I was faced with the contrast of an elegant metal casket with cushion linings, a beautiful funeral home, and many people giving money, food and flowers to the affected family. While the last funeral consisted of a man who was too young to die and most certainly wouldn’t have died with proper medical care, this death consisted of a man who received the best medical care that exists and for that reason was able to live until age 84. The thing that ties these two so very different yet so very similar men together is their strong characters defined by their great love for their families and complete focus on their children and grandchildren in every aspect of their lives.

In the end, it’s been a busy couple days not just in regard to the activities happening but with everything to think about as well. I return to the DR for my last 5 weeks feeling extremely blessed. Everything happens for a reason como Dios quiere.





No comments:

Post a Comment