Subscribe:

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Life in the Fast Lane


All of the volunteers at supper in Santo Domingo!
Wow, I don’t even know where to begin. Life has been busy busy busy as of late (like always I suppose)…but this time it’s more or less the normal, regular stuff that is making it feel like 24-hour days aren’t long enough. To recap the last two weeks (opps…I missed a week of blogging…I blame it on our VERY unreliable Internet…)

1. I learned to drive a moto! Rather, I STARTED learning. Here in the DR, there’s no problem finding a Dominican boy that’s willing to teach you. What WAS a problem was getting up the guts to actually do it, esp. when I was told to fly solo after about ten minutes of learning.
Just driving through the sugar cane fields...no big deal...


I'm flying solo (and still upright...)

2. September birthday party. On Sunday, we had the birthday party for the kids with birthdays in September in Casa San Pascual. There was a lot of showcasing of dembow skills and of course, bizcocho!


Katherin (our newest kid) turned 8 and Carlitos turned 16!
Junior turned 14!
3. Volunteers eat dinner in Santo Domingo. One of the board members donated a supper to all of the volunteers at their 5-star restaurant in the capital (Pat-e-Palo). It was a pretty out-of-the-ordinary night for us. The food was DELISH!
We had a fun guagua ride over!
All sitting down at the biggest table I've seen in my life...
Crazy eye face....notice how I CAN'T do it...
4. Keeping busy with visitor groups! Recently, we’ve had a couple visitor groups that I’ve helped out with including a couple padrinos (sponsors). One group left behind a donation of some European cheese which we distributed to all the younger kids!

Arleeny and her Italian godparent...
Johan and his cheese :)
Junior, Sandy, and Junior with their cheese (before Sandy realizes he doesn't like cheese, hehe...
Casa Santo Domingo and their queso!
The twins, Jose and Josecito...they look just a LITTLE bit alike, right?
5. Projects in Santa Ana. This week we redid our chore chart in the house which was a big job and we redid the photos on our Little Mermaid mural, since the old photos were getting a little outdated. My favorite part was that all the girls participated in some way or another. It was like unplanned team bonding.
New chore chart!
Updated mural!
6. Tia deportes. Madelon, Avriel, and I have been leading Zumba/aerobics classes with the tias twice a week for a month now. It’s a great way to bond with the tias and work up a sweat (not that that’s hard at all!)

7. My family is visiting again in January!!! Suzanne, Michelle, and Becca will be here for a full two weeks and my parents and best friend Abby will be here for a week! CAN’T WAIT!

8. Parasites gone! And finally, FINALLY after a good 5-month battle, I think I am parasite-free. No more worms and amoebas inside me, gracias a Dios!  

No comments:

Post a Comment