Subscribe:

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Parasites. Amoebas. Bacteria. Oh My!

Yup, I think I'm starting to feel the effects of living in a 3rd world underdeveloped country! The good news is I've officially been here over 6 months now...yay! The bad news is I have parasites, amoebas, and bacteria hanging out in my intestines which has led to some inflammation/infection since they've been there awhile. Whoops! So a couple clinic visits later, I've now been prescribed 6 different medicines and I'm slowly recovering. The weird part is I hardly noticed it all happening...looking back, I realize I had the symptoms although mildly (stomach pain, fatigue, etc. etc.) but because life is so go-go-go here, I didn't realize it until this past week when I started getting tested. Apparently, I got all this from having either drank contaminated water at some point or from eating a vegetable or fruit that was dirty. Also, I'm one of 6 volunteers at the moment with a parasite problem of some sort, so I'm in good company. We've all started taking extra care with all our water, dishes, food, etc. Plus we no longer refer to ourselves as "I" but rather "we" since we all have extra living creatures inside of us at the moment, haha.

Anyways, these issues basically landed me in my bed watching movies and napping for the majority of my weekend off. However, today we went to a nearby pool and just lounged for the day. I had an AMAZING mango batida...yum! Then, when we got back I went and hung out with the kids for a little while. It's Wilson's 16th birthday today, so I had a card and lots of well wishes for him! Plus I hadn't seen my girls since Wednesday lunch, so I went to see them. It's crazy how much you can miss each other when you go a long weekend without each other. One of my more rambunctious girls, Eridania, is down with a fever, headache, chills, etc...the poor thing. And my tia had lots of advice for me on how to kick my parasites in the butt. Tomorrow, we are headed to the capital bright and early at 6:00am to renew visas and it's another one of my girls' birthdays (Jaqueline)! That's all for now! 2 weeks until Suzanne, Michelle, Becca, and Aunt Mary arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment