Subscribe:

Monday, July 9, 2012

4th of July: DR Style!

Fruit pizza Dominican-style (including mangos!)
The 4th of July (my favorite holiday) happened…obviously, it’s not something celebrated here (Independence Day here was February 27th), but we decided to combine Wes’ goodbye dinner with a little ‘Happy Birthday America’ celebration. We bought loads of hot dogs and hamburgers and fired up the grill that was donated a couple years back. We also invited all volunteers, visitors, staff that live here, etc. so we had a group of about 35 people in the house that night. To top off the evening, I followed in good ol’ Kathy Mages’ footsteps and made a fruit pizza to celebrate…I just had to make a couple tweaks since fruit available here tends to differ from MN. It was quite a success! And there were even extra strawberries to share with my girls who at the most have had strawberries once before in their lives (they’re QUITE expensive here…)
Grilling out!
The amazing buffet!
Cristela with the strawberries...YUM!
 In other exciting news, Vicky Medley is currently visiting us. She’s the Volunteer Coordinator for all of the volunteers that come from the USA, so she’s the lady I sent my application to and interviewed with. It’s been awesome hanging out with her to say the least…tonight, she’s taking the American volunteers out to supper in San Pedro and tomorrow she’s making all of the volunteers breakfast complete with homemade bagels and cinnamon rolls…what a treat!

Other than that, this weekend with the kids was pretty chill. I hosted a group of university students on Saturday that brought Coca-Cola for all of the kids and filmed a commercial here for their publicity class. We put on a movie Saturday night for the older kids outside on the basketball courts (Gremlins 2…they saw the first one last week and LOVED it!) And Sunday, we played some volleyball and Avriel and I played with the special needs kids while it rained. 

Kaky and I hopping around!
I also just received the Mages Family Newsletter from my amazing aunt Linda (she sends it here every month…how lucky am I…and yep, our family is so big that we have a newsletter) and guess what? FOUR of my cousins are expecting babies and TWO of my cousins are engaged! It’s a little crazy being so far away when all of that fun stuff is going on (definitely not excited about missing a Mages wedding), but I’m so SO happy for my family! 
Greg & Mary Kay, Tim & Lindsey, and Julia & Alan are expecting...
...As are Melanie and Stevie!! Also, CONGRATS in advance to David and Sam as they tie the knot at the end of the month (I'm sure it will be a memorable Mages wedding just like this one was!)
More CONGRATS to Amanda and Johnny!! (I promise to make it home for this wedding next summer!)
And finally, Bonita, my fellow Cobber and cousin, graduated! Now she's officially an RN and starting her dream job in the NICU...SO proud of her!! (Check us out freshman year in front our our dorms, haha...time flies!)




     





No comments:

Post a Comment