Subscribe:

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

PURE Awesomeness.

It's definitely rainy season!
 That is pretty much how I would describe life here at the moment. Every day lately has just been so much fun. These kids mean so much to me and I'm just constantly enjoying being completely immersed in this life style. Here are a few moments of awesomeness that were particularly awesome:

1. DANCE PARTY IN THE RAIN!! Oh yes, this past Sunday, music in the park took a turn for the awesome. Per normal, we got out the huge speakers around 4:00 and set up in the park. Boom, the clouds roll in and it starts to rain. Rather than putting an end to it all, we move the speakers to the terraza of Casa Santa Rosa and things got crazy. Before long, all of us from the voluteers to the littlest kids to the oldest kids are outside on the street in the pouring rain dancing away...dembow, bachata, it didn't even matter. We were just having a blast as we splashed around in the puddles on the street and the basketball court. Hands down, one of my top 3 moments here. 

2. English lessons. Per request, I've started up English lessons with a couple of the older girls and it's going great! We whip out the white board and markers on Monday and Wednesday afternoons, plop down at a table in the park, and we are off. So far some favorite choice words: gross, gorgeous, and seriously. 

3. Italian godparent visit! On Saturday, two Italian couples came to visit two of our girls. One of them also happened to be an orthopedic doctor, so he was nice enough to plunker down at the clinic for an hour or two and see six of our kids. We spent the rest of our time walking around the grounds and hanging out in Casa Santa Ana, Casa Santa Lucia, and the special needs house. I just love godparent visits--the kids get so excited about it and you meet a lot of amazing people!

4. San Pedro with the girls. I took Estrella and Carmencita to San Pedro last Tuesday. It's always fun taking my girls into town...they really enjoy it and it's a great time to bond on a more personal level. Three of my girls are having their Quinceanyeras this coming November so that seems to occupy about 99% of our conversations these days :) 

5. Julio Franco visits NPH and I got to meet him. Why did he visit? Well, Madelon ran into him randomly at McDonalds and invited him over. LOVE that about the DR.
_________________________________________________________________
Now a look a couple slightly less awesome aspects of life...

1. Internet has been non-existent at NPH since Hurricane Isaac (currently sitting at McDonalds...)

2. I got bit by a spider. I thought I could handle it on my own. I was wrong. A week later it was swollen, red, and looking more like a nasty 3rd degree burn. I gave in and went to the doctor. I also figured out...

3. I have lice. GROSS. I'm having second grade flashbacks. But I guess that's just one of the 'perks' of living with 215 kids 24/7. Whatever, I'll survive.


That's all for now...gotta take advantage of the Internet working and get some other things done. Hope the school year is off to a great start for everyone!

Italian godparent visit! Esperanza and Stefani were the lucky ahijadas!
Newest additions to our school...Yerald and his younger brother, Wanel. They like to hang out in my office with me and are super awesome!
Four of our oldest kids receiving gifts from their godparents: Jesel, Jean Carlos, Wislina, and Yendy.
Maria! One of our newest cancer kids in Santa Maria. WHAT. A. CUTIE.

No comments:

Post a Comment