Subscribe:

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Never Had I Ever (Until Now)…

So the last few days have been BUSY! We are getting ready for this big International Meeting with 300+ people that is set to begin this coming Monday, so it’s been a lot of prep. Since writing about the different documents I’ve been translating and making photocopies of is boooooring, here’s a list I made (yep, I like lists…but you probably already knew that…)

Never Had I Ever (Until Now)…

*Let people call me Kris or Kristina
*Complained about it being cold in 70 degree weather
*Seen places that double as car washes and night clubs
*Experienced so many tear-jerking moments
*Wanted to go to Haiti so badly
*Gotten sunburn in January
*Found a tarantula right outside by bedroom door
*Been so aware of my skin color
*Gotten ringworm
*Taken cold showers
*Enjoyed power outages
*Been around so many languages on a daily basis (Italian, German, Creole, Spanish, English, French…)
*Seen such gorgeous sunsets and stars at night
*Eaten so many rice, beans, and yucca
*Had my hair played with so much
*Eaten raw sugar cane
*Seen so many kids with scars on their faces
*Been envied for my skin color  
*Been awoken each morning by a rooster crowing
*Rode mopeds so much
*Been so thankful for the little things (3 pieces of silverware at meals, ice in a glass of water, kneelers at church…)and BIG things (parents that are alive, the chance to get an education, a means to make money for myself...)
*Drank chinola (passion fruit) juice—SO good!
*Known that Dominicans are tall
*Been so un-phased by seeing mice run around my house
*Heard so much bachata music!
*Seen such a contrast between rich and poor
*Seen kids occupied for HOURS by the littlest things…an old tire, a piece of “caution” tape, a piece of Styrofoam (they like toys too, of course)
* Seen what it’s like to live in poverty while having all your needs met
*Had such a short commute to work (approx. 20 seconds from house to office)
*Been around so much baseball
*Drank so much coffee!
*Been a mother to 215 kids

1 comment:

chrism said...

I love this. It's so important to document these things!

Post a Comment